- 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese; cubed (tofu for vegans)
- 2 tablespoon corn starch/cornflour
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 4 cloves garlic; roughly chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger; roughly chopped
- 1 large onion; diced
- 2 medium sized capsicum; diced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon green chilli sauce or 2 fresh green chillies; finely chopped
- Oil, to sautée and to fry paneer cubes
- Salt, to taste
Cut paneer into 1 inch cubes. Take the paneer cubes in a bowl and sprinkle cornflour, Kashmiri chilli powder and salt over it. Toss the paneer lightly to coat well. (Do this with a gentle hand to ensure the cubes don’t fall apart)
Heat sufficient oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the paneer cubes and fry on medium heat until the edges start to turn brown. Take care to fry in batches. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
Dice the onion and capsicum into small pieces pieces. remove the inner part and the seeds of the capsicum.
Heat two tablespoons of oil in a sauce pan. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds.
Add onions and sautée on high heat for about 2 minutes or till the onion turn a little soft. Add the capsicum and toss well for another minute. The vegetables should be cooked but crisp. Sauté for only a couple of minutes.
Add paneer cubes and toss well. Add soy sauce, green chilli sauce (alternatively, fresh green chilli paste), vinegar and salt and toss till well combined. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
To make green chilli paste, grind 2-3 fresh green chillies with a tablespoon of water.